- Our Practice is devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of jaw problems known as Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD), but also referred to as TMJ problems; Neurogenic Facial Pains (Trigeminal Neuralgia and Idiopathic Tooth Pain); Headaches; Snoring and Sleep Apnea. Scientifically valid, conservative approaches to diagnosis and treatment are cornerstones to our patient care. For more details, see "Guiding Principles".
- Dr. Montgomery has managed these problems for 35 years, having completed two Residency Programs, directed Residency Programs in academic institutions and taught full-time for 14 years (Tenured Associate Professor). He is credentialed as a Fellow in the American Academy of Orofacial Pain (AAOP) and a Diplomate of the American Board of Orofacial Pain (ABOP) and in the past was a Fellow in the American Association of Hospital Dentistry . For more details see "About Dr. Montgomery".
- New TMD/Facial Pain/Sleep Apnea Patients are welcomed to print out and complete the Office Forms prior to their initial visit. We can fax or email them to you. Having the forms completed prior to the initial visit will save time, allow for more thorough responses and thereby improve diagnosis and treatment.
- The Initial Visit is comprised of reviewing your history and symptoms, performing a clinical examination, taking a screening radiograph, explaining your problem and treatment options and taking oral impressions if an appliance is to be fabricated. This visit generally requires 45 minutes to an hour of time. Patients should bring any relevant TMJ appliances and orthodontic retainers with them. If patients have prior TMJ images or reports such as MRIs, C-Ts or a panoramic radiograph taken within the past year, bring them with you or have them mailed or emailed. The quality of photocopied images is generally too poor to allow for acceptible diagnosis, therefore faxing and bringing photocopies images is discouraged. For Sleep Apnea patients, Sleep Lab Reports are requested and can be delivered via email, fax or in person. Patient treatment will be initiated to all patients at this visit, if indicated.
- We will bill your Insurance, medical or dental whichever is likely to provide you with the best benefit. Because we can bill medical insurance and are authorized providers for many medical health plans, we are able to secure the best reimbursement from insurance carriers for your care. For most patients, the best reimbursement is through their medical insurance. This service is unique to our office, as most dentists are do not perform medical insurance billing and are not providers on medical plans.
- Generally, the Treatment for TMD and Sleep Apnea Patients is comprised of the initial diagnostic visit (1 hour), an appliance delivery visit one week later (30 minutes) and 2 to 3 follow-up visits (30 minutes each over the next 2 months).
-This webpage contains the opinions of Dr. Montgomery. Although I feel my opinions are scientifically valid and intended to serve the best interests of patients, the contents are my opinions and should not be construed to represent the either the views of any organization or the Standards of Care.
7551 Callaghan Road, Suite 210
San Antonio, Texas, 78229
TMJ, Facial Pain and Sleep Apnea Therapy and Research Center, Inc. All rights reserved.